Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Mother's Day

With Mother's Day coming up my thoughts turn to being a mom. Motherhood is truly a job. Anyone who thinks it is easy either hasn't got a clue, or has very angelic children. I had the normal kind of children, angelic while sleeping!! I'm the mom of three of the greatest children on Earth and I wouldn't change a thing about my experience as a mom. I love each one of them in different ways: Eva is a very loving and giving person, I worry sometimes that she is too caring and may neglect her own will to make others happy, Shaun is strong and resilient and will always come out on top, and Joe is a very caring person who has a natural ability to get along with animals. We've all had our differences over the years, but I wouldn't change a thing. Every experience we go through makes us who we are, creates us on the fly. It gives us the ability to work through something and find a way to do what we need, as long as we don't let it get us down.
This Mother's Day will be celebrated with only one child still in the nest, the youngest, Joe. It will truly be a celebration because the school district is now aligned to our position that they can't provide for Joseph. They have suggested an out of district placement that I approve of. Should there be no opening for Joe, we can go back and suggest another. This is, as Martha would say, a good thing. This Mother's Day I'll be sighing a sigh of relief, finally getting what we've know for quite a while would be the best for Joe.
I will also be celebrating because I will finally have a grandbaby!! YEAH! I can't wait. Eva will have a lot of help before and after the birth, because his mother and sister (or is it sisters) are hoping to be able to get visas and be here for her. I can't wait to knit and crochet lots of baby stuff for her. I hope she doesn't worry too much about being a mom, I know she'll be a great mom! This Mother's Day I can call Eva in Florida to wish her a Happy Mother's Day!
I'm not sure if Shaun is still in Okinawa, but I'm hoping he is and thinking of him with love. The rift is there, and I'm not sure how to deal with the situation. He must be very proud of having been able to make his life work out the way he wanted. It was his deep desire to be a Marine and he had to get his GED and some college credits (15) before they'd even look at him and he did it. He made it through basic and has gone on to serve in Iraq, and is/was in Okinawa. While in Iraq his best friend was shot in the head and died. He wears a memorial tattoo on his leg to honor his fallen friend. He's already a Corporal. I wish I could hear from him. I'm not sure what his plans are, but this Mother's Day, I'll be praying that he is safe and happy wherever he is.

No comments: